Someone Missed A Science Class

Stunning in her stupidity. But let’s face it, it is more an indictment of the failure of the US educational system than anything else. We need to increase spending across the board in education but mostly in science. We’re still debating evolution. That’s simply unthinkable elsewhere.

In 1966, US-born males received 71 percent of science and engineering PhDs, US-born females earned 6 percent of those degrees, and foreign-born students received 23 percent of those doctorates. By the year 2000, US-born males received just 35 percent of science and engineering PhDs, while 25 percent of those doctorates were awarded to females and 39 percent to foreign-born students. The increase in female science and engineering PhDs is laudable as is the gain in overseas science PhDs. Still we need to increase the number of total PhDs and that investment starts by interesting children in science.

Unfortunately, I have to catagorize this in the science category because I don’t have a dumbass category.

Return to Main

ShareThis

Posted in Science by Charles Lemos
RSS 2.0
snelson
August 10th, 2008 3:02 pm
I can only repeat her question: What are they putting in the water? It’s the only thing that could explain such astonishing stupidity.

Charles Lemos
August 10th, 2008 3:48 pm
Very funny. I died laughing reading your comment. Thanks.

Charles Lemos
August 11th, 2008 7:09 pm
Also first-graders have better spelling.

fonik
August 12th, 2008 11:26 am
I saw this on Fark earlier. Look at her other youtube videos. She thinks the moon is a giant mirror and that the government is shooting gravity waves at her to shake her house. She obviously has paranoid schizophrenia or some similar disorder.

Charles Lemos
August 12th, 2008 11:32 am
Fonik, well that’s awfully sad. I more used the video to drive home the point that we need to increase spending on science and education generally.

The woman lives in Northern California and the video is a year old. Thanks.

johnnyneverdies
August 12th, 2008 1:12 pm
It’s obviously all the gays putting the rainbows in her water not the government.

BostonBoomer
August 12th, 2008 1:18 pm
Funny. If I were that woman, I’d be wondering about all those sirens in the background.

franksenbaynes
August 12th, 2008 2:03 pm
she needs to put the video camera down. im sure there’s a board meeting that’s missing their CEO right now. also, i believe i’ve seen her at http://stuffididlastnight.com

dchild59
August 12th, 2008 2:56 pm
That is a sure sign of aliens being on your yard and urinating

bigfun
August 12th, 2008 8:16 pm
No. I think the woman is on to something. I’ve never seen a rainbow that close to the ground. Why is everyone acting like she’s some kind of idiot? It’s true that the liberal media puts stuff in our water to make us vote Democrat – why wouldn’t this have a visible manifestartion?

Brilliant Conspiracy Theory « danieldezago
August 13th, 2008 12:24 am
[…] is closing in on one of the stupidest things that I have heard in a long time. The original link is here, but I have reposted it below for your viewing pleasure. […]

mshmsucks
August 13th, 2008 2:44 pm
Charles,

I don’t see how this person makes you think that we need more funding for schools and science in particular. Since the state and especially the federal government began meddling in the education of our children, that education has been on the decline. This has not been due to a lack of funding or inability of the children to learn. This is due to the fact that the schools sponsored by the state rarely promote the idea that anyone is capable of learning and that everyone should be encouraged to learn and to think. However, we have mandatory schooling so we end up with a cookie cutter system that teaches the majority of our children to do as they are told and regurgitate facts but not to think. The only way to receive a proper education is to be able to think before you actually enter into the schooling system in which case you will excel in it and possibly given the leeway to actually learn. If you do not have the skills to excel in school before entering, there are few within the system that will attempt to provide you with them. Throwing more money at this will not resolve the issue. Starting kids earlier in life will not resolve the issue. Making them stay in school longer will not resolve the issue. The only way to resolve the issue is to reevaluate what it means to be an educated person. Does it mean that you can study for and pass certain exams and then promptly forget what you studied about or does it mean that you can think critically, learn new things and apply previous experience to new situations? This person may not be stupid at all, simply truly uneducated. Don’t forget there is a difference between the two.

Charles Lemos
August 13th, 2008 3:09 pm
Mshmsucks, I think you make valid philosophical points. The goal of any educational system is to encourage people to think critically. Aristole, Socrates and Plato proved that. This woman, it turns out, is a paranoid schizophrenic and obviously reality is beyond her grasp. I didn’t know that when I posted the video and yes I used it as a foil to argue for increased investment in science and in education generally. I don’t have the figures at hand but I think you’ll find that government spending in science as a percentage of GDP has been declining since the Reagan years. I think that is a huge error. Science doesn’t have all the answers but without it we’re not going anywhere.

Great comment, very thought-provoking. Thanks.

What the hell is going on, indeed? « Gynomite!
August 18th, 2008 10:59 am
[…] August 18, 2008 at 9:28 am (cool things i’ve found) (Comedy, conspiracy, cool stuff i’ve found, rainbows, science) My lovely Chicago girl D tipped me to this funny/sad video that is apparently trying to terrify us all about……. RAINBOWS! This woman is convinced that the fun rainbow that is made when you aim a hose at the sky is 1) a new phenomena, and 2) a result of something they’re putting in the ground. You must watch this. Via a great science blog called By the Fault.

About Lester Burns